Child Dental Benefit Schedule
Great news: Financial support now available for kids aged between 2 -17 for basic dental services.
From the beginning of 2014, the Australian government released a new child dental program called The Child Dental Benefits Schedule. This provides eligible children and teens between the ages of 2 to 17 with up to $1000, capped over two consecutive calendar years, for basic dental services.
How do I know if my kids are eligible?
As of January 2014, all eligible families, teens and approved care organisations should have received a letter of confirmation regarding eligibility. To be eligible:
- Children must between 2 to 17 years of age
- The child or teen, or their family, carer or Guardian must receive certain government benefits (e.g. Family Tax Benefit Part A) for at least part of the calendar year
- Must be eligible for Medicare
This provides eligible children and teens between the ages of 2 to 17 with up to $1000, capped over two consecutive calendar years, for basic dental services…
Child dental benefits schedule: benefits available
From 2014, all benefits for basic dental services are capped at $1000 per child over the period of two consecutive calendar years.
You don’t have to use all of your $1000 benefit in the first year. If you don’t use all of your benefit, you can use the benefit in the second consecutive year, providing you are still eligible. However, any remaining balance after the second year won’t be carried on to the next year.
Dental services covered:
- Tooth Fillings
- Root Canals
- Fissure Sealings
Cosmetic dental work, orthodontics, or any dental work provided in a hospital are not covered under this schedule.
This schedule won’t tally toward the extended Medicare safety net or Medicare safety net thresholds.
After the dental treatment, we will bulk bill you…. So you may not have to pay a thing!
How to confirm eligibility
If you’re still not sure if your child is eligible for this schedule, you can always call the Medicare general inquiries line on 132 011. Alternatively, for those of you that have set up your Medicare online account at myGov, you can check your status online.
Visiting the dentist: benefiting from the child dental benefits schedule
So, you’ve found out that you are eligible for child dental benefits. What next?
Here’s what to do:
- Book into Dentistry Plus and let us know that you are eligible for the child dental benefits schedule.
- At your appointment, our dentist will discuss your treatment, along with any associated costs with you before we provide you with the services.
- After this discussion, once you understand everything you will sign a consent form.
- After we have completed the dental treatment on your child, we will bulk bill you. So, providing your service was eligible and that you have not reached your limit, you may not have to pay a thing.